Paris c. 1923-1925
Detail from 1928 Court Presentation dress
The Boué sisters had one of the most recognizable styles in fashion. They were known as the “Seagulls of Lace”. Their popularity was greatest in America, and they made 6 to 8 sea crossings every year from France to America.
In 1899 the Paris house was founded by two sisters Madame Sylvie Montegut (born 1880) and Baronne Jeanne d’Etreillis (born 1881) both of who had the maiden name of Boué. In 1916, they opened their New York house.
Madame Sylvie seems to have been the artistic spirit and Jeanne travelled around the world to gather inspiration and promote their clothes. The Boué sisters made great use of light-refracting silver and gold cloth, purchased from theatrical supply houses. They had their own Lame fabric made and embroideries with silver and gold threads. Another house signature was floral patterned lace. Embroidery was done in Venice on sheer organdie, to make entire “lingerie” dresses, popular throughout the 20’s. Dhoop-chaon taffeta was also used to make different hues shine at different times.
Their perfume QUAND LES FLEURS REVENT was made at their ancient Chateau de Maison Rouges outside Paris. Their house closed around 1933.
They were renowned for their romantic designs which often borrowed details from historical paintings. Their garments were often reminiscent of underwear, made of paper taffetas, silk organdies and ornately decorated.
Incredible silk rose appliques…
A froth of shimmering silk lame and gauze…
Court presentation dress c 1932-34
For more gorgeous Boue Soeurs dresses
see MET Costume Institute here